Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Unconditional Love

In case we have never mentioned it before, Patty and I use this blog as journal. The plan is to make a book for Broderick of all the posts that give updates on his new life. So, my purpose in writing this is that my little BB will read it when he is older.

Your mother has always had a fascination with unconditional love. She finds it so amazing that there are certain people in your life that no matter what you do will always love you. . . and you will always love them. I've never really understood this phenomenon as well as your mother; I guess you could say that my love for others has often been a little. . . conditional. But as I was laying in bed tonight I just had to get up and write down that on this day I realized that you have taught me what uncontrollable, unconditional love is. I was lying there hoping to fall asleep when I had the uncontrollable desire to kiss you softly (without waking you) on the top of the head. It doesn't matter what time of the day it is, I always have that urge. You could be so fussy and frustrating but at the same time I will want to hug and squeeze you. Thank you for teaching me this wonderful kind of love. It makes me wonder why I didn't want to be a dad sooner. I can tell that you and I will always be buddies and look forward to the times when we will do "guy" stuff together. I will always love you - after all, it was you who taught me to love so deeply.

Your dad,
Michael

2 comments:

Mike and Patty said...

I don't know when you wrote this but what a sweet post for our little guy to read someday. you made me get teary eyed. I love you soooo much! thanks for being such a great daddy and loving our monkey so unconditionally.
Love,
Patty

"The Savages" said...

I must say.... I cried reading this post! It's so true! It's amazing the things we learn when we become parents.