Sunday, August 15, 2010

Scottish blunderings...

Mike and I are big fans of most late night talk shows. We love Conan and Craig the most . They are hands down hilarious and entertaining. Anyways, for Mike's birthday, i thought it was only appropriate to get him Craig Ferguson's book, American on Purpose. At night when Broderick was sleeping Mike and I would stay up to read his book. I really liked reading all of his crazy stories and it helped us see him in a different light and appreciate him more. Anyways, something that stuck with me was when he talked about having his first child and how your entire perspective on life changes when that occurs. He said "I think when you become a parent you go from being a star in the movie of your own life to a supporting player in the movie of someone else's." I find that so fascinatingly true. I realized this same concept on the 4th of July when Mike and I took Broderick to see fire works for his first time. We do this every year, but all the other years we've been together, just the two of us, we'd hold hands, cuddle and/or kiss throughout the firework show (: this time, however, our eyes were locked on Broderick's face. just looking at all of the different expressions he made and how excited he was. as i looked around, I saw that the couples with children were doing the exact same thing and couples without were doing what Mike and I use to do before. It just amazed me to realize how having children engulfs your every thought and changes you forever.
I also realized that, although i used to think that the fixation parents had for their children could strain the relationship between their significant other; it does the exact opposite. I love Mike more than ever because he adores Broderick and we are even closer now than we were before. of course, you feel strains every now and then because there is a third person that you are taking care of and looking out for but your love for your spouse grows deeper and the roots grow stronger. I am just so grateful for Broderick and the lessons and gifts he has already given us in the few months we have had him.

2 comments:

"The Savages" said...

Very well put! Children do bring you closer and give your relationship more depth! I too love seeing Tom with our kids... seeing him play with them and taking care of them makes me love him more & more.

That pic. of Mike & Broderick is so cute!

"The Savages" said...

I swear he looks so much like you (Patty) in that picture- absolutely adorable!